Newville, PA homes for sale

Find home in the beautiful countryside

By 1728, the first pioneer, Andrew Ralston, settled on what is now Green Ridge Village. It is easy to see the many things that attracted him to this small nook in the Cumberland Valley, a variety of trees, the fertile land, a multi-trade of native fruits and berries, ample game, and our own Big Spring, the second largest fresh water spring stream in the country.In addition, close by, the Big Spring ran into the Conodoguinet Creek , which eventually dumped into the Susquehanna River. The Scots and Scots Irish that followed him found an area comfortably similar to their native lands, and not a German name makes its appearance until 1790, the official founding of the town.In the years following Andrew Ralston’s arrival, the Newville area was already developing rapidly. The first mill along the Big Spring was built by William Laughlin in 1762, The first settlers on the tract of land that would become Newville, the Laughlin brothers, laid their claim in 1732 or 1733. William Laughlin presented 89 acres to the Presbyterian Church, who constructed a log church in 1737. By the time the town was established, there were already two churches in place.On February 26, 1817, the town of Newville was incorporated.

From the beginning, Newville was a well established commercial and residential center. There were physicians in the town since 1792, and even a pharmacist. Pack trains and mule trains traveled up the Mt. Rock Road into town when they forded the Big Spring and traveled on to Springfield, stopping at the many taverns along the way. The Scots and Scot Irish built mills along the Big Spring. When the railroad arrived in 1857, Newville grew to meet the station in New Town, and factories were built along the line.

Businesses began to grow in the town. By the mid 20th Century, Main Street, High Street, and the present day Big Spring Avenue were home to many businesses. Tin shops, clothing stores, hardware stores, a jeweler, liquor store, several drug stores, a bevy of Mom and Pop grocery stores, as well as others serving other neighborhoods, banks, a five and dime store, Leon Wagner’s Chevrolet dealership, a handful of barbers, successful restaurants, and even a gas station.

The small town never lacked in entertainment in its early days. Vaudeville and minstrel shows were extremely popular. Parades celebrated major holidays, and a popular cornet band was organized by Paris Chambers who was acclaimed as the most important cornet player of his time. In later years there was a movie theatre. Of course, baseball games were a draw during summer months.

The town never wanted for schools or churches. Both institutions served many functions for the citizens in the early years, as they do today. The fire company, Lion’s Club, and the community center also enrich our lives with their community minded service and entertainment.

For all of its assets, the best and most valuable is still Newville’s citizens. It’s a fine community where the citizens greet each other with a wave, smile, and a warm and gracious “hello”. That’s our community, proud, strong, with 270 years of quality life behind her, a place to call home.

Recreation In Newville, PA

From hiking to swimming, fishing to hunting, Newville has a wide variety of outdoor activities and spectacular views.

Colonel Denning State Park is named in honor of William Denning who was, oddly, never a colonel. He was a veteran of the American Revolutionary War and a manufacturer of wrought iron cannons. Denning was a sergeantin the Continental Army from March 1778 until April 1780. He was stationed near Carlisle at Washingtonburg Forge, now the Carlisle Barracks. While stationed there, Denning explored and mastered the technique of creating lighter and easier to transport cannons. He did this by welding strips of wrought iron together in layers and building the cannon with the layers. Denning lived out his life following the Revolution near Newville. His grave can be found in the cemetery of Big Spring Presbyterian Church in Newville.

Many of the facilities at Colonel Denning State Park were constructed during the Great Depression in the 1930s by the Civilian Conservation Corps. It was formally opened in 1936.

Colonel Denning State Park is open to hunting. Hunters are expected to follow the rules and regulations of the Pennsylvania Game Commission. The common game species are squirrels, white-tailed deer, and turkeys. The hunting of groundhogs is prohibited. Hunting is also permitted in the nearby Tuscarora State Forest. Doubling Gap Lake is open for trout fishing during the trout season established by the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission.

There are 18 miles (29 km) of hiking trails at Colonel Denning State Park and the park serves as a trailhead for the Tuscarora Trail (105 miles (169 km)). Visitors are permitted to swim at their own risk in Doubling Gap Lake; lifeguards are not provided. There are over 200 picnic tables available at Colonel Denning State Park. Flat Rock trail is a 4-mile (6.4 km) out-and-back hike reaching a peak elevation of 1,987 feet (606 m) at Flat Rock. At the rock, a cool breeze is welcome to hikers in the summertime. Occasionally, black bears are seen along the trail.

The camping season at Colonel Denning State Park begins with the start of trout season and ends at the conclusion of deer season. There are 52 tent and trailer sites. Each site is equipped with a fire ring and picnic table. Outhouses are available at the campsite. On Flat Rock Trail 1.1 miles (1.8 km) up the mountain, a camping shelter was built as an Eagle Scout Project in 2000. A picnic table and fire pit accommodate the shelter along with an outhouse located a few hundred feet away.

Activities for The Family in Newville

Food, Festivals, and Fun

Are you looking for a great place to get breakfast in the morning? Do you long for a dining place with a cozy feel? Well, for the past year, Jaymee Lee’s Diner has been making its mark as the place to be in the Newville, PA community. We are a family-friendly, sit-in diner that also offers take out. Our goal is to offer delicious meals with the highest quality service.

Originally a celebration of the 100th anniversary of the fountain, the tradition has continued into a community event. Newville’s Fountain Festival covers two days. On Friday night the festivities start off with a parade.  Dancing in the streets at the fountain occur after the parade with the sounds of live music. On Saturday there is more live music at the fountain.  Other exhibits, entertainment , and food is available.  Many craft stands will be available on Saturday.

Cumberland Drive-In Theatre is an outdoors movie theater located in Newville, Pennsylvania. It is capable of hosting 400 vehicles and has a 45 by 96 foot movie screen. As of August 2013, it has been operated by the same family for over 60 years. Cumberland Drive-In Theatre was opened by Donn Mowery on August 1, 1952 and celebrated its 60th anniversary in 2012. The first movie ever shown at Cumberland Drive-In was Annie Get Your Gun. The theater was built just before the peak years of drive-in theater popularity. At the height of the drive-in culture there were over 4,000 drive-in theaters in the United States: 25% of the nation’s movie theaters. Today Cumberland Drive-In is one of 368 remaining drive-ins in the United States. Its location is ideal in that it is close to Interstate 81 and U.S. Route 11, making it easily accessible. Even though it is near the area’s major highways, the drive-in is situated in a low-population area with dark skies. After the closure of Sunset Drive-In in nearby Chambersburg, the Cumberland Drive-In became the only drive-in theater to service Chambersburg, Hagerstown, MD and the surrounding area. The Cumberland Drive-In Theatre features a snack bar and a large playground area. The theater is family friendly; most features are rated G, PG or PG-13, with R features typically showing in the latter part of the season.