Marysville, PA is a picturesque town located in the southern tip of Perry County. The 2 1/2 miles square borough is bounded by mountains to the north and the south, by the Susquehanna River to the east, and by Rye Township to the west. US Routes 11 & 15 serve as the primary transportation corridor for Marysville residents.
The Borough was settled in 1755, incorporated as the Borough of Haley in 1866, and then incorporated as the Borough of Marysville in 1867.
Nearby areas of interest include Harrisburg, the Pennsylvania State Capitol, the Gettysburg Civil War Battlefield, the Hershey Chocolate Factory and Amusement Park, and Girty’s Notch …home of the infamous bandit, Simon Girty.
Recreational opportunities exist in area State Parks, the Appalachian Trail, the Susquehanna River (the best “Muskie” fishing in the country), hunting on State Game Lands, skiing, swimming, hiking, rock climbing…to name a few.
The longest stone masonry arch railroad viaduct in the world!
The Rockville Bridge, at the time of its completion in 1902, was, and remains, the longest stone masonry arch railroad viaduct in the world. Constructed between April 1900 and March 1902 by the Pennsylvania Railroad, it has forty-eight 70-foot spans, for a total length of 3,820 feet (1,160 m).
The bridge crosses the Susquehanna River about 5 miles (8 km) north of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. The eastern end is in Rockville, and the western end is just south of Marysville.
The original bridge on the spot opened on September 1, 1849, when the PRR began operating over it. The Northern Central Railway began to use it after abandoning their Marysville Bridge. The current bridge was built by Italian laborers, who worked for two contractors (Drake & Stratton Co. and H.S. Kerbaugh), one on the east side of the Susquehanna River and one on the west. Local people from the Harrisburg area also worked on the bridge.
For most of its life the bridge carried four main line tracks. They were reduced to three in the 1980s when the PRR Main Line was modernized across Pennsylvania. In the late 1990s an intermodal container was blown off an intermodal freight train and landed in the river, prompting Norfolk Southern to reconfigure the track layout by terminating the wye track to Enola at the west end of the bridge. This reduced the number of main line tracks to two, but left a buffer zone on either side to prevent further containers ending up in the river, although high winds from the departing December 2010 North American blizzard resulted in a similar outcome on December 27, 2010.
The track from the west side of the bridge was shortened back to a new CP point named “Mary” not because of wind blowing containers off, but because the curve in the switch at the former location caused lateral forces to blow out the side of the spandrel. This led to the failure of the downriver side under the weight of a coal train. When the spandrel failed, it also disproved the once popular thought that the core of the bridge was filled with concrete. During times of high wind it is routine to park heavy trains on the bridge as a wind shield. Currently, the bridge is used by the Norfolk Southern Railway and Amtrak. The bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
Marysville Lions Club
Helping the community
To empower volunteers to serve their communities, meet humanitarian needs, encourage peace and promote international understanding through Lions clubs.
To be the global leader in community and humanitarian service. To Coordinate the activities and standardize the administration of Lions clubs. To Create and foster a spirit of understanding among peoples of the world.
The Marysville Lions Club Carnival provides funding for service projects benefiting the residents of Marysville and Rye Township.